Tuesday 6 April 2010

This is me - the Greedy Glut

Hello and welcome to my first ever post!

I am the Greedy Glut. I'm not a chef, I haven't got a coveted Michelin star or respected Bib Gourmand.
But......I do have nearly a million (well, not literally) sticky, manhandled cookbooks, a trusty set of Circulon pans and a troup of willing guinea pigs (sorry, I mean dinner guests).
I am a home cook and a writer by trade. But mostly I am a hopelessly addicted foodie.

I LOVE food. I know it, my family knows it and boy do my friends know it.


I can’t go for more than a few moments without thinking or talking about what to nibble on next, and one of the highlights of my week (sadly I know) is planning what we are to eat for the next few days.

In fact, so food obsessed am I that I actually decide where to holiday and take day trips based on the culinary offerings available.

And no matter how generous I am on every other level, should anyone try to steal, borrow or beg food from my plate they would surely feel my wrath. Think of me as a female version of Joey from Friends - someone for whom food is as precious, delectable and satisfying as sex.

As with most people these days I really haven’t got loads of time to cook. By the time I’ve worn my fingers down at work, picked up the kids, flicked off my shoes, washed up, dealt with gathered housework and read bedtime stories, there is barely time to have a bath before bed or Brain Train on my Nintendo DS - let alone whip up a culinary extravaganza.

On the flip side, when I do have time to cook I really enjoy it and want to spend time reading recipes, choosing great ingredients and lavishing time and love on treating my family and guests to fantastic food.

This book is not about quick fixes and rushing about, Sure, there are ideas and recipes for snacks quick fixes, but at the core of this blog is good, honest, tasty food that is really worth cooking and savouring.

I am a great believer in the kitchen being the heart of the home.

It is a place where lunchboxes are strewn together in the morning, stews are conjured up on winter’s days and where kids learn to roll dough, cut out biscuits and stir the Christmas cake with a wooden spoon.

I am also a great believer in shopping locally and sourcing local produce - both of which are currently a la mode, particularly in my home county of Suffolk.

There is a great food revolution stirring in which a certain sector of the country is fighting back against the faceless supermarket chains, turning instead to the farmers’ market, the local butchers, weekly fishmongers stalls and delis. And their meals and pockets are all the better for it.

Wouldn’t you rather munch your way through a meal of juicy, succulent sausages from the butcher down the road, proudly spiked into mounds of oozingly fluffy mash made from potatoes picked at the farm in the next village? Surely this is a much more exciting proposition than pastel pink, squeaky sausages with tasteless ‘white potato’ mash?

I think it is.

If you love devouring and digesting cookbooks, cooking great food, talking about food - well, basically living and breathing anything edible, join me on my journey of culinary discovery.
I will be sharing my favourite homegrown recipes, divulging my favourite gadgets and cookbooks, and talking about anything and everything foodie happening in my life.






















Getting jiggy with it

Cereal bars

Blueberry, almond and lemon muffins



Afternoon extravagances





Dinner fit for a king

No comments:

Post a Comment