Wednesday 28 April 2010

Oven-baked tomato soup and spicy bread

I had a little bit of a thing for cornbread last week – I think it’s because I wolfed down a shedload on our picnic last weekend.
So on Friday night I whipped some up and served with an oven-baked soup. Yes, that does sound strange, but with my hubby jumping up and down like an over-sugared toddler at the news that I’ve booked for him to go away fishing this weekend as a birthday treat, and making me help him lug various pieces of equipment from the back of the shed, I didn’t have time to stir anything.

Starting soup off in the oven also gives it a smokey and caramelised flavour.



Chilli cheesy cornbread

200g self-raising flour

200g polenta (I use Merchant Gourmet as it is nice and fine)

200ml milk with a squeeze of lemon juice

1 egg

A big handful of strong cheese

1tsp freshly chopped oregano

1 green chilli finely chopped

1/2tsp salt

Do it: Mix all of the ingredients together and place in a 23cm square tin that's been oiled. Bake at 200c for 30 minutes until spongy.

Oven-baked tomato soup

2 cloves garlic

1 tin chopped tomatoes

1 small onion halved

1tbsp olive oil

1/4tsp dried thyme

1 vegi stock cube

Black pepper

1/2tsp sugar

1tsp balsamic vinegar

Do it: Simply place all of the ingredients in the oven and roast at 180c for an hour. Add a pint of boiling water and blitz the lot with a hand blender or in a blender. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment